Spicy yogurt sauce is a healthy homemade dressing that tastes delicious with so many things, especially crispy smashed potatoes! It’s a quick and easy sauce that is made with your favourite Luvele homemade yogurt, plus a few simple pantry ingredients. It’s creamy, tangy and as spicy as you care to make it.
Smashed potatoes are an easy, vegetarian and gluten-free appetiser or side dish that is sure to be a hit with friends and family. The trick is to bake squashed, whole boiled, potatoes. A combination of melted butter and olive oil is what makes them deliciously crispy. The more bobbly and rustic the surface, the better the crunch. We don’t think it’s needed but you can even add a sprinkle of parmesan cheese for a crispier crust or dust with garlic powder for more flavour. While you can use any type of potato, we recommend choosing smaller ones so that you get bite-sized pieces.
The spicy yogurt sauce is super forgiving and can be adjusted to suit your taste and dietary preference. For a thicker dipping sauce, choose homemade Greek yogurt or even dripped yogurt cream cheese or labneh. If there’s ever a time to splurge with cream, replace all, or some of the yogurt with homemade sour cream or crème fraîche. For a vegan sauce, you can really use any of our plant-based yogurt recipes and switch out the butter for more oil. Browse the Luvele yogurt making library for all the recipe in one place.
If you have any sauce left over or love it enough to want to whip up another batch it’s delicious paired with tacos, falafel, salad, burgers and more.
1 ½ (approx.) small potatoes
2 tablespoons of butter, melted
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 teaspoon of salt
Spicy Yogurt Sauce
1 cup homemade yogurt
2 tablespoon Sriracha sauce or your favourite hot sauce
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon ground cumin
2 cloves garlic crushed
¼ teaspoon salt
1/3 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C / 356 °F
2. Wash the potatoes thoroughly.
3. Add whole, unpeeled potatoes to a large pot of water, then bring to the boil, and let simmer for about 20-25 minutes, or until fork tender.
4. Drain the potatoes in a colander.
5. Spread the potatoes on baking trays leaving space between.
6. Using a fork or potato masher gently squash down on each potato. Do not press all the way through to the tray. Don’t worry if some pieces break away though.
7. Let the smashed potatoes steam dry for a few minutes.
8. Combine the melted butter and olive oil.
9. Generously brush the potatoes with the oil & butter combo them sprinkle with salt.
10. Now is the time to add some garlic powder or grated parmesan if you like.
11. Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes or till they become golden and crispy. While the potatoes are in the oven, you can prepare the spicy yogurt sauce.
12. Simply mix all the ingredients in a medium sized bowl until well combined. Taste test and adjust the seasonings. Keep in mind the flavours will become more pronounced. You can definitely make this sauce ahead of time.
13. Smashed potatoes are best when they’re hot, right off the pan. Serve alongside the spicy yogurt sauce. You can either drizzle the yogurt over the top or use it as a dip.
14. If you have leftovers, keep the yogurt sauce separate from the potatoes.
If you make this, or any of our recipes, we would love to see your creations. Leave us a comment, or tag a photo using #luvelelife on Instagram.