Kids will love this real food homemade version of the popular store-bought fruit roll up (fruit leather or fruit straps) and they can be easily made at home in the Breeze food dehydrator. There’s something about being able to hand your child a snack that you made yourself, knowing exactly what is in it. No added sugar, chemical flavouring or colours. Just the natural flavour and goodness of pure fruit!
These DIY healthy fruit roll-ups are the perfect lunch box or anytime treat. The recipe below is for apple and blueberry, but you can just as easily make them with raspberries, strawberry, or any berry you like.
4 large apples
1 heaped cup of blueberries (fresh or frozen and defrosted)
1. If using frozen blueberries, defrost them first and remove any excess water.
2. Peel and chop the apples
3. Combine the apple & blueberries in the Vibe Blender jug. Insert the tamper into the lid.
4. Blend on ‘smoothie’ mode for 40 seconds or until completely smooth. Using the tamper to push the fruit down into the blades.
5. Position 4 x silicon fruit leather trays on the Breeze food dehydrator trays.
6. Pour the blended fruit mixture into the centre of the trays then smooth out to the edges with a spatula. Fill each tray as full as possible. The key to successful dehydration is to make sure you have an even layer of fruit puree. If it is uneven, the thicker parts will remain sticky or the thin parts will be too dry.
7. Tap the trays to help level out the puree before stacking in the dehydrator.
8. Set the Breeze dehydrator to 70 °C and the time to 8 hours. Then recheck every hour until the leather is done. The fruit should be dry to the touch, but still flexible. To test. Peel the fruit leather from the tray in one corner. If the underside is still tacky it needs more time.
9. Let the sheets cool, then peel off the trays.
10. Slice with a knife or cut into strips with kitchen scissors
11. If dried correctly homemade fruit rollups will keep in a tightly sealed container for months.