And isn't this the prettiest trail mix you have ever seen? All au naturel colour from nature’s sweetest vegetable; the humble beetroot. With your eyes shut, you would never know it’s there. You really can’t taste it. So don't be surprised if your kids even put a hand in for more. It's delicious, stopping at one handful is nearly impossible.
The medley of ingredients is chock full of with nutritional goodness too. Beetroot alone, is full of vitamins, minerals and powerful antioxidants as well as a great source of folic acid, fibre, manganese and potassium. Mixed up with all those cashews, fresh coconut and seeds, you have a superior pre-biotic snack that is also anti-inflammatory, immune boosting and detoxifying. Dehydrated for a long time at low temperature, the nutrients remain intact and abundant.
2 cups freshly grated coconut (approx. one small brown coconut)
2 beetroot, peeled and grated
2 cups activated cashews (soak in water with 1 teaspoon of salt for 4-6 hours)
1/2 cup of sesame seeds (toast for extra flavour)
1 tablespoon of white chia seeds (omit if SCD)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup of raw honey (or maple syrup)
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon of coconut oil, melted
1. Rinse, drain and roughly chop the cashews.
2. Combine all the trail mix ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
3. Spoon the mixture out onto 3 Breeze dehydrator trays lined with silicon mesh sheets.
4. Set the temperature to 60°C / 140°F and the time to 10 hours to check in. If the mixture is not thoroughly dried, leave on for extra time.
5. Nutty beetroot trail mix will last several months in air-tight jars.